Töltött Paprika Burgonyával | Stuffed Peppers with Potatoes
Recipe type: Entree
Töltött Paprika Burgonyával | Stuffed Peppers with Potatoes is a Hungarian food recipe mixed with beef, onions and rice.
- 6 large green peppers
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ c. chopped onion
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, pork, or turkey
- 1½ c. cooked rice (1/2 c. raw, cooked according to package directions)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 small/medium-size potatoes
- 2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 cans water
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Wash green peppers, cut off and discard tops, and remove seeds.
- In a small frying pan, heat oil for 1 minute over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until transparent.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat with rice, cooked onion, egg, salt, paprika, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Stuff the peppers with meat mixture.
- In a kettle or Dutch oven combine all but 1 c. tomato sauce with 2 cans (30 oz.) of water. Stand the stuffed peppers upright in the sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30 to 40 minutes, until meat stuffing is tender. Use a large spoon to stir the peppers in the pot during cooking to avoid sticking.
- While peppers are cooking, wash and peel potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Put potatoes into a kettle, cover with water, and simmer over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and keep potatoes warm.
- Add flour and sugar to remaining 1 c. of tomato sauce, stir well, and pour over stuffed peppers. Stir the tomato sauce well and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes.